2 aubergines, cut into 1 cm-slices
30 ml (2 tablespoons) avocado oil
salt and ground black pepper
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 carrots, finely grated
1 x 410g can whole peeled tomatoes in juice, crushed
7.5 ml (1½ t) cinnamon
1 x 410g tin lentils
a handful of chopped parsley
250 ml (1 cup) Greek yoghurt
100g feta, crumbled
Preheat the oven to 180 ° C.
1. Sprinkle half of the oil over the aubergine slices and season to taste. Roast over medium heat on both sides until cooked. Set aside until needed.
2. Heat the remaining oil in a large pan and sauté the onion, garlic and carrot for 3 minutes until soft.
3. Add the tomatoes (and sauce), cinnamon and lentils and simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Stir the parsley through and remove from the heat.
5. Arrange the aubergine slices and lentil in layers, ending with a layer of aubergine.
6. Mix the yogurt, egg and feta and pour over lentil mixture. Bake until the topping is set and golden in colour – about 40 minutes for individual dishes and an hour for a family sized bowl.