- 1 whole chicken
- 30 g (2 tbsp) butter
- salt and ground black pepper
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 250 g mixed mushrooms such as porcini and portobellini (use what is available)
- 20 ml (4 t) tomato paste
- 280 ml chicken stock
- 5 ml (1 t) cornflour (Maizena)
- Bouquet garni: A small bunch of parsley, a small bunch of thyme and bay leaf tied together a with kitchen string.
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) Italian parsley, roughly chopped
Preheat the oven to 190 ° C.
1 Heat the butter in a large, ovenproof saucepan over medium heat and fry the chicken until golden brown. Start with the breast, then the sides and finally the back. Flavour with salt and black pepper.
2 Remove the chicken and set aside. Saute the onions and mushrooms until golden brown.
3 Mix the tomato paste and chicken stock. Mix the cornstarch with a little water and add to the tomato mixture. Pour all the liquid in the pot. Add the bouquet garni and finally the chicken. Place the pot’s lid on and bake for 50-60 minutes or until the chicken is tender and cooked through. Finally add the parsley.