8 tips for the perfect cheese platter
- Cheese should be served at room temperature. Take the cheese out of the fridge at least one hour before serving.
- Choose a variety of cheeses. Experts say there should be a hard cheese like a six month aged Gouda and twelve month aged cheddar, a soft cheese such as camembert and brie, and something strong like blue cheese on a cheese platter.
- Simonsberg such as Simonzola is also a smart choice because it is more subtle for those who prefer a “lighter” blue cheese.
- Try low-fat cream cheese, it is wonderful light and fluffy.
- Plan for at least 45 – 60 g of cheese per person.
- Serve a variety of crackers and / or bread with the cheese.
- Serve canned fruits, jams, pickles, chutney or olives with strong cheese.
- Decorate the cheese board with fresh, colourful fruits such as strawberries, grapes or figs.