- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 5 ml (1 t) paprika
- 5 ml (1 t) cumin seeds, finely grounded
- 5 ml (1 t) cilantro, finely minced
- 5 ml (1 t) cinnamon
- 3 cloves
- 2.5 ml (½ t) nutmeg
- 2 cardamom pods, finely grounded
- 2 x 400 g whole peeled tomatoes
- 500 ml (2 c) white wine
- 1 litre homemade chicken stock
- 10 ml honey
- 500 g green lentils
- salt and ground black pepper
- 8 bones with marrow, ask the butcher to cut a few in length for serving
- 1 Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Fry the onions for 5 minutes, or until tender.
2 Add the garlic, carrot and celery. Cook for another 5 minutes.
3 Add the spices and cook for 2 minutes.
4 Add the tomatoes, white wine, chicken stock, honey and lentils.
5 Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 45 minutes or until the lentils are tender. Flavour with salt and black pepper.
6 Meanwhile, heat the oven to 200 ° C. Put the bone marrows in a pan and bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
7 Remove the marrow from the bones and stir into the lentil stew.
8 Serve the stew with the bones cut in the length.