- 45 ml (3 tbsp.) olive or avocado oil
- 2-3 German sausages, cut into 8 cm pieces
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) aniseed
- 125 ml (½ c) cake flour
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1.5 kg short ribs, cut into blocks
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 3cm pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 250 ml (1 c) stock
- 375 ml (1 can) German beer
- 2 handfuls of baby potatoes
- 2 apples, stalk and bell removed and cut into quarters
- 1 small cabbage, cut into strips
- Handful sage leaves, chopped
1 Heat half the oil in a pot and fry the sausages until golden brown. Remove and set aside.
2 Mix half the aniseed with the flour. Season to taste and roll the meat in the flour, Heat the remaining oil and fry until brown.
3 Add the onions, carrots and garlic and fry until brown. Season to taste.
4 Add the rest of the aniseed, stock and beer. Cover and simmer for about 2 hours until the meat is tender.
5 Arrange the potatoes, apples, cabbage, sage leaves and sausages layer by layer on top. Cover and simmer for another hour or until done.