Recipe: Vickie de Beer. Photo: Charles Russel
- 4 eggs
- 260 g caster sugar
- 280 g cake flour
- 15 ml baking powder
- 250 ml milk
- 100 g butter
- 5 ml vanilla essence
- Beat the sugar and egg until light and foamy
- Sift the flour and baking powder and fold into the egg mixture
- Heat the milk and butter, but do not let it boil
- Mix the warm milk mixture with the rest of the ingredients and add vanilla essence
- Grease Madeleine pans with non-stick spray.
- Mix 45 ml thyme leaves with the dough and scoop into the pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes until cooked.
- Prepare the basic Royal icing and mix with the juice of one lemon.
- Dip the top of every Madeleine in the icing and leave to set.
Mix one egg white and 250 ml (1 cup) icing sugar (sifted).