- 45 ml (3 tbsp.) olive or avocado oil
- 250g diced bacon
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 125 ml (½ c) cake flour
- 1.4 kg oxtail, cut in segments
- 2 onions, chopped
- 500g pickle onions, peeled
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 3cm pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 500 ml (2 c) red wine
- 250 ml (1 c) stock
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) tomato paste
- handful thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 500g button mushrooms
- Handful of parsley
1 Fry the bacon until crisp. Remove and set aside.
2 Season the flour to taste, roll oxtail in flour and fry until brown in hot oil in the same pot.
3 Add the onions, pickle onions, carrots and garlic and fry until brown. Season to taste.
4 Add the red wine, stock, tomato paste, thyme and bay leaves. Cover and simmer for about 3-4 hours until the meat is tender, but not falling off the bone.
5 Arrange the mushrooms and bacon on top and simmer for 15-30 minutes or until the mushrooms are cooked.
6 Mix the parsley through and serve with mashed potatoes.