Recipe Vickie de Beer. Image Lee Schwagele
Makes 4 jaffles
- Spread 8 slices white bread with 1 tbsp. (15 ml) butter
- Mix 1 cup tasty snoek salad (recipe below) with 3 tbsp. (45 ml) mustard salad dressing (recipe below).
- Spread 3 tbsp. (45 ml) snoek mixture on a slice of bread, and make a little nest in the salad.
- Place a soft boiled egg (5-6 min, and shelled) in the “nest” and cover with a slice of bread (butter side up).
- Slice one red onion into thick slices. Place an onion ring in the jaffle pan and then place the bread on top.
- Fry over medium heat until golden.
- 400 g smoked snoek, flaked and bone removed
- 1 cup (250 ml) cooked mielies (pips removed from cob)
- ½ cup (6-8) dried apricots, chopped
- ¼ cup (60 ml) roasted peanuts
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- ½ chopped red onion
- A hand full of chopped fresh coriander leaves
Mustard salad dressing
- 1 cup (250 ml) mayonnaise
- 1 cup (250 ml) full cream Greek yogurt
- ½ cup (125 ml) grain mustard
- 2 t (10 ml) mustard powder
- 2 t (15 ml) chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp. (10 ml) grated ginger
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml) honey
- Juice and grated rind of one lemon
- Mix the flaked fish, mealies, apricots, peanuts, spring onions, red onion, and fresh coriander in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix the mayonnaise, yoghurt, grain mustard, mustard powder, garlic, ginger, honey and lemon in a bowl.