Sushi bowls with broccoli rice by Vickie de Beer. Photo: Charles Russel
400 g broccoli
45 ml (3tbsp.) rice wine (Saki)
400 g trout, slightly smoked
4 sheets nori
Juice from 1 lime
45 ml (3 tbsp.) sesame seed, slightly roasted
4 baby cucumbers, cut in length
A few pieces of pickled ginger
20 ml wasabi paste
125 ml (1/2 c) soy sauce
- Cut the broccoli in florets and blanche in boiling water, flavoured to taste with salt. Drain and cool
- Process the broccoli in a food processor until coarse (the size of rice grains)
- Place the broccoli in a medium mixing bowl, add Saki and keep aside.
- Place a sheet nori in 4 serving bowls.
- Cut the peeled avocado in slices and sprinkle with lime juice.
- Cut the trout in thick strips and divide between the 4 bowls. Add a scoop of broccoli rice on top of the trout. Add slices avocado, and a few slices ginger. Sprinkle with sesame seed.
- Mix the wasabi in the soy sauce and serve aside in small bowls.