- 30 g butter
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) olive oil
- 1 kg chicken necks
- salt and pepper
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) plain flour
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 5 cm piece ginger, finely chopped
- 1 red chili, finely chopped
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) coriander, finely minced
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) cumin seeds, ground fine
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) paprika
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) garam masala
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) fenugreek
- 2 x 400 g whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 x 400 g coconut cream
- handful of cilantro, chopped
1 Heat half the butter and oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
2 Season the chicken necks with salt and pepper. Cover with flour and shake off the excess flour.
3 Fry the chicken in batches until golden brown. Remove and set aside. Fry the onion, garlic, ginger and chilli for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown in the remaining butter and oil.
4 Add the coriander, cumin, paprika, garam masala and fenugreek and cook for another 2 minutes.
5 Add the chicken necks and tomatoes and season with salt and pepper.
6 Simmer for 20 minutes over low heat, or until the sauce thickens.
7 Add the coconut cream and cook for another 5 minutes.
8 Serve with fresh coriander and coconut shaves.