Two delicious recipes for holiday baking by Vickie de Beer.
Apricot & Coconut Cookies
If stored in an airtight container, these cookies will keep for two weeks.
Makes 24 cookies
- Cover a 30cm x 24cm baking sheet with wax paper.
- Melt 100 g (1/3 cup + 2 tbsp + 1 tsp) butter and 180 ml (¾ cup) condensed milk in a saucepan over moderate heat. Bring to the boil and simmer over low heat for 2 mins. Stir frequently. Remove from heat.
- Add 250 g crumbed tennis biscuits, 150 g apricots (shredded), 90 g coconut and 30 ml (2 tbsp) lemon juice and mix well.
- Pour the mixture onto the baking sheet and let it set in the fridge.
- Cut into squares and serve.
- Chop 100 g (1 slab) dark chocolate and 100 g (1 slab) milk chocolate and place into a microwave-proof bowl.
- Set the microwave to defrost and melt the mixture, stirring every 30 seconds until smooth.
- Beat 185 ml (200 g) caramel condensed milk until smooth and add the melted chocolate.
- Mix 10 ml (2 tsp) vanilla essence, 8 tennis biscuits (crumbed), 100 g chopped cranberries, 75 g chopped almonds and 30 ml (2 tbsp) icing sugar into the chocolate mixture.
- Roll into balls and press the top part slightly flat.
- Let the mixture set.
This recipe is also available in Afrikaans: Vakansiekoekies
Also try: Orange Chiffon Cake