Makes 50 small donuts
- 30 g sugar
- 5 ml (1 t) salt
- 10 g (1 bag) instant yeast
- 7.5 ml (1½ t) ground cinnamon
- 5 ml (1 t) mixed spice
- 5 ml (1 t) ginger
- 80 g ginger in syrup, finely chopped
- zest of 2 oranges
- 500 g bread flour
- 375 ml (1½ c) lukewarm milk
- 80 g butter, melted
- oil for deep-frying
- Mix 170 g sifted icing sugar with 45 ml (3 tbsp) orange juice until a smooth paste forms.
- 1 x 385 g can Caramel Treat
- 100 g cocoa powder
- 100 g icing sugar
- 100 g dark chocolate, melted on the defrost setting of the microwave
1 Use an electric mixer with a dough hook. Add the sugar, salt, yeast, cinnamon, mixed spice, ginger, orange peel and bread flour in the bowl of the mixer.
2 Mix the milk and butter in a measuring cup and slowly pour into the flour while the machine is running. Mix for about 10 minutes or until the dough is smooth and elastic.
3 Cover the bowl and let the dough rest for 1 hour and double in size.
4 Knead the dough for 1 minute. Form rolls of 25 g each and press the rolls lightly.
5 Heat the oil in a large saucepan to 180 ° C. Deep fry a few donuts at a time until golden and cooked through. The balls will float to the top as soon as they are cooked. Drain on paper towels and let cool.
6 Dip the balls in the toppings.
7 Garnish here and there with gold leaf. Form a wreath on a serving plate and eat!