By Melissa van Hoogstraten. Photo Johan Wilke.
Serves 10 – 12
- 300 g (2 1/4 cups) cake flour, sifted
- 375 g (1 1/2 cups) sugar
- 15 ml (3 t.) baking powder
- 5 ml (1 t.) salt
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) sunflower oil
- 5 egg yolks, not beaten
- 180 ml (3/4 cup) cold water or orange juice
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) orange peel, thinly grated
- 7 egg whites
- Pinch of cream of tartar
Preheat oven to 160° C.
- Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Make a hollow in the middle of the sifted dry ingredients and add the oil, egg yolks, orange juice or water, and orange peel. Beat until smooth.
- Beat the egg whites and the cream of tartar until very stiff.
- Pour the flour mixture over the egg whites and fold in gently until completely mixed.
- Pour into an ungreased 25 cm chiffon-pan and bake for 60 – 75 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool upside-down in the pan. Let it cool completely before you remove the cake.
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) soft butter
- 750 ml (3 cups) icing sugar, sifted
- orange juice
Cream the butter and icing sugar until smooth. Add enough orange juice to create a soft spread in order to spread it evenly over the cake.
Sugared orange peel
- Rinse two oranges well. Peel with a vegetable peeler and cut the peel into thin strips.
- Melt 250 ml (1 cup) sugar in 250 ml (1 cup) water in a medium-sized saucepan.
- Add the orange peel and boil for 10 minutes. Remove the peel from the syrup and let it cool for 5 minutes. Arrange on the cake as decoration.